AAFCANS is required to publish a broad range of documents and information under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act) on this website. We are also required to publish a plan that explains how our IPS is administered.
The IPS promotes a pro-disclosure culture across government with agencies encouraged to take a proactive approach to publishing key information above and beyond their legislative obligations.
This plan describes how AAFCANS implements and administers its IPS obligations under s 8(1) of the FOI Act by addressing:
- Establishing and administering AAFCANS’ IPS entries;
- Structure of the IPS;
- Information required to be published;
- Other information to be published;
- IPS compliance review.
AAFCANS will continue to build and foster a culture in which appropriate proactive disclosure of its information holdings is embraced. This is in recognition that public sector information is a national resource managed for public purposes.
The purpose of this plan is to:
- Assist AAFCANS in maintaining and enhancing its IPS entries;
- Facilitate improved transparency about those entries;
- Detail the information that AAFCANS publishes, how and to whom that information is published and how AAFCANS will otherwise comply with the IPS requirements s 8(1);
- Identify further information for public release.
AAFCANS objective is to outline appropriate mechanisms and procedures to:
- Manage our IPS entries;
- Proactively identify and publish all information required under s 8(2)(a)-(j);
- Proactively identify and publish any other information as appropriate (s 8(4));
- Regularly review and ensure that the information published in our IPS entry is accurate, up to date and complete (s 8B);
- Ensure that the information published under IPS is easily discoverable, understandable, machine-readable, re-useable and transformable;
- Ensure satisfactory conformance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0);
- Measure the success of AAFCANS IPS entry by reference to community feedback and a compliance review process;
- Reduce formal requests under the FOI Act by making information that is routinely sought readily available and accessible.
Administration of AAFCANS IPS entries
Our Head of Governance & Risk is the strategic manager of AAFCANS’ FOI processes, the IPS and corporate information management.
The Head of Governance & Risk is the Chair of the Information Governance Committee. The Committee is comprised of key senior leaders representing Finance, HR, IT and Operations. The Committee meets regularly throughout the year to consider our information assets, their management, retention, destruction and release. Business is reported to the Audit & Risk Committee each quarter.
All decisions to publish or release information under the FOI Act must be approved by the Managing Director or Chairman as articulated in our Communications policy.
Publishing and managing the IPS entries is undertaken in accordance with our Corporate Governance calendar, financial and corporate processes driven by best practice and legislation, and our Information Governance Framework (PP03).
Information published under the IPS is made available on our website. Information will be made available in both PDF (Portable Document Format) and RTF (Rich Text Format).
A form is included on the website page where you can provide feedback on the IPS entry, particularly where documents are not discoverable, understandable or machine-readable.
Information published on the website may be shared and re-used but must be maintained in its original published format. Text and comment must not be altered.
AAFCANS maintains a document register and corporate governance calendar (depending on the type of document), which track:
- Responsible officer;
- When the information was last updated;
- When the information is next scheduled for review;
- If a document is not published on the internet, the person to contact to obtain a copy.
AAFCANS will generally not charge for IPS information provided by email. However where hard copies of information are requested, charges may be imposed.
List of charges:
|Photocopy||$0.10 per page|
|Copy other than photocopy||$4.40 per page|
|Copy in the form of a USB||The cost of producing that USB|
|Copy to be sent by post or delivered to the applicant||The cost of postage or delivery|
The cost involved in researching and sourcing documentation may also be charged if the information request is broad and/or complex. Charges will be calculated and informed to the requester prior to any work being undertaken.
Structure of the IPS
Public access to AAFCANS IPS content is through our AAFCANS website homepage. The IPS content is accessible via the homepage navigation menu and Accessing our Information icon in the footer.
Information will be published under the following headings.
At the bottom of every webpage:
- Access to Information;
- Freedom of Information;
- Information Publication Scheme;
- FOI Disclosure;
- Feedback Survey.
In other sections of the website, linked from the landing page:
- What we do (who we are, what we do & our mission, vision and values);
- Giving Back;
- Governance (holding our published reports and our board of management);
As part of the development of the website and in recognition of the need to have information easily discoverable, understandable and machine-readable, AAFCANS have:
- Utilised the Access to Information icon on the homepage of the website, providing a direct link to the IPS section on the website, which in turn contains links to all required information.
- Provided online content in a format that can be searched, copied and transformed, conforming to WCAG 2.0 Level AA.
- Created a sitemap of the website allowing easier identification of information available on this portal.
- Provided a search function for the website.
- Provided a specific feedback form for community interaction about whether AAFCANS’ IPS entry and its associated documents are easily discoverable, understandable and machine-readable. Feedback will be directed to the Head of Governance & Risk for evaluation and response.
At this stage our website does not support an alert service when IPS entries are updated.
Information required to be published under the IPS
AAFCANS publishes mandatory information required under the IPS (s 8(2)).
This information includes:
- A plan for our IPS (this plan).
- An organisation chart setting out the structure of AAFCANS.
- Details of our functions and any decision-making powers. Note, AAFCANS do not have decision making powers relevant to this plan.
- Details of appointments of officers made under the Act – that is, our Board of Management.
- Our Annual reports.
- Details of our consultation arrangements for members of the public, including how and to whom those comments may be made. It is specifically noted on the disclosure page that AAFCANS do not create policies that impact the public and therefore does not seek public consultation.
- Information that AAFCANS routinely releases in response to regular FOI requests ~ refer to our Disclosure log.
- Information that AAFCANS routinely provide to Parliament in response to requests and orders ~ these are based on board member information request. Please refer to Our Board of Management.
- How AAFCANS may be contacted about access to information or documents under the FOI Act.
- AAFCANS operational information routinely published in the performance of our function and purpose.
Other information to be published under the IPS
AAFCANS will publish within the IPS section of our website other information that is held, taking into account the objectives of the FOI Act (s 8(4)).
- Corporate plans;
- Relevant corporate policies including WHS, Public Information Disclosure and Privacy.
IPS compliance review
The operation of the IPS and this plan is reviewed at least biennially.
Online information will be reviewed for currency and accuracy regularly throughout the year.
AAFCANS performance of its IPS will be assessed through the following measures:
- Is the required information published, complete and accurate?
- Are the governance arrangements, including the information governance framework, operating as designed and meeting our obligations?
- Has AAFCANS reviewed its disclosure log to update its routinely released information beyond that required by the FOI Act?
- Is AAFCANS IPS information easily discoverable and accessible?
- What feedback has been received regarding the IPS and website?
Download this file to your desktop to view. Click right mouse and choose ‘Save Link As’ and save the file to your computer.
Open and view as a PDF file or download this file to your desktop. Click right mouse and choose ‘Save Link As’ and save the file to your computer.