Victoria Barracks is located on a 5.7 ha area on St Kilda Road, between Southbank and South Melbourne, approximately 1km south of the Melbourne CBD. The Barracks, named in honour of Queen Victoria was originally built to accommodate British Imperial Garrison troops, (who were involved in putting down the armed Eureka Stockade rebellion in Ballarat) and later the Colony of Victoria’s colonial forces.
The Barracks housed the Department of Defence from the creation of the Commonwealth of Australia (Federation) in 1901 until 1958 when the Department moved to the new Russell Offices in Canberra. G Block is the earliest construction, built from 1856 to 1858, while the remaining buildings were built by civil contractors with the original bluestone buildings being constructed between 1856 and 1872.
A Block (the new wing) was added to house HQ Department of Defence in 1917. It now accommodates the corporate headquarters and Systems Program Offices (business units) of the Capability Acquisition and Sustainability Group Land Systems Division, as well as One Defence personnel.
- DFRC VIC
Other AAFCANS Services
- Military Gear
This information is sourced from https://www.defence.gov.au/Bases and is updated periodically.