RAAF Base Edinburgh is home to 3500 personnel from the Australian Army, Royal Australian Air Force, the Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group, elements of Joint Logistics Command and Defence Estate and Infrastructure Group as well as key defence companies including BAE Systems Australia, Raytheon Australia, Airbus Group Australia Pacific, CAE Australia and Meggitt Training Systems.
The centre of the nation’s military intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and electronic warfare capabilities, the base is home to Air Force’s No 92 Wing, which operates the AP-3C Orion maritime patrol aircraft, No 1 Remote Sensing Unit, which operates the Jindalee Operational Radar Network (JORN) and Space Surveillance systems at the Air Warfare Centre.
The base is also home to Army’s Horseshoe Barracks housing 1st Armoured Regiment and the 7th Battalion RAR of the 1st Brigade (Adelaide). Major investment is underway to support the introduction of the P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft, which commenced in 2017, and the MQ-4C Triton unmanned aerial vehicles that will also be based at Edinburgh.
- RAAF Base Edinburgh is also home to:
- No 453 Squadron Edinburgh Flight – air traffic control
- No 24 (City of Adelaide) Squadron – airbase support
- No 87 Squadron – intelligence
- No 292 Squadron – sensor operator training
- No 3 Security Forces Squadron, Headquarters
- No 1 Remote Sensor Unit – Jindalee Operational Radar Network
- No 1 Expeditionary Health Squadron Detachment Edinburgh
- No 1 Combat Communication Squadron Flight Edinburgh.
Other AAFCANS Services
- Wi-Fi – Yes
- Foxtel – Yes
- Dry Cleaning – Yes
- Catering – Yes
- Military Gear – Yes
Welfare Disbursements 2020/21
Other Services on Base
This information is sourced from https://www.defence.gov.au/Bases and is updated periodically.
The precinct is a key national defence research and intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance hub. It is primarily home to the Air Warfare Centre, and No 92 Wing’s AP-3C Orion and P-8A Poseidon aircraft which conduct surveillance operations throughout Australia’s airspace.
The precinct major sites consists of:
- RAAF Edinburgh
- Defence Science and Technology
- Edinburgh Parks
Defence Base Contacts
- Base Contacts call 1300 DEFENCE (1300 333 362).